SILC logo with the text PA Finder to the right.

 Available PAs: 125
Available Jobs: 362

Invoices and Payments

So you've taken on a PA who is self- employed and you now need to think about your payments to them.

A self-employed PA will be registered with HMRC and will be responsible for paying their own tax and National Insurance. This makes paying them much easier as all you have to do is pay them for the hours they have worked.

It is common that a self-employed PA will invoice you for their time, often sending an invoice at the beginning of the following month for any hours they have worked in the previous month. For example, on the 1st July, they would invoice you for any hours they did with you in June. However, in some cases, and due to the amount of hours that a self-employed PA might work with you, the invoicing might be more frequent. This would usually be something you would agree to in your Agreement of Work.

You should keep a record of the days and hours that your PA has worked with you and check this against their invoice to ensure that you both have the same information.

You will have agreed how you will pay their invoice (this detail might also be included in your Agreement of Work) and this will often be by cheque or by a bank transfer direct in to their bank account.

SILC's ILAs (Independent Living Advisers) are available to help with any questions or you might like to use the services of SILC's FMAs (Financial Monitoring Advisers) to support you with paying your invoices and managing your finances in general. If this is the case and you would like to know more, please Contact Us.

Return to Resources page